Monday, September 6, 2010

Close encounters of the monkey kind...

Wow, they have internet in the jungle, although my space bar doesn´t work for shit. This post is going to be disjointed as all hell because I am beyond exhausted. I didn´t really sleep at all last night. Combination of a grumpy stomach and a sleep schedule not conducive to getting up at 5am. Luckily all I had to do was ride around in a van all day long and what a ride it was. I have pics but I didn´t bring any of my cables because I didn´t think I´d be able to upload pics out here. At one point the road, dirt road I mean, was blocked by a partial rock slide. After moving some of the rocks people just started plowing over the rest of the rock slide. That´s what our van did after we all got out first. I saw an old school VW bug go monster truck over some rocks. Quite the site.

Long, long, LONG van ride to get to the jungle from Cusco. Probably had something to do with the fact that we couldn´t go much faster then 25 mph once we got up on that crazy dirt road. I started fading in and out of consciousness due to my diminshed state. We had a couple stops in tiny little towns up in the Andes before we started to drop down into the jungle. Once we started down the speed dropped even more until we were going the speed of a good jog.

I´m gonna be short on details here but the rain forest road was ridic. Switch backs all the way down into the forest, trees everywhere. Once we got halfway down I realized I could no longer see the peak we came from because it was hidden by clouds. I could also not see the bottom of the valley cause it was hidden by clouds. Yeah....

Highlight...we saw monkeys, no, not me with my shirt off, like real wild jungle monkeys. And get this, one of the guys in our tour group fed two of them fruit, BY HAND! True story, I have pics. The monkeys took a half apple from his hand. Not a good idea, and I wouldn´t do it, but it was fun to watch.

Anyway, all is well. We are somewhere in the Amazon and dinner is being served in about a half hour. Tomorrow I´ll be on a river boat and right now I´m too spaced to type anymore. Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment