Saturday, March 27, 2010

Headed to BFN...

Well then, an interesting few days I must say. The trip down to San Antonio was lovely except for the whole getting sideswiped on I-35 S by another semi truck. I was rolling along in the right lane when the truck in the lane to my left swerved over and clipped my driver side mirror with his trailer. Marvelous. Then he proceeded to act like nothing happened despite me yelling at him on the radio, honking my air horn, and flashing my lights on and off right next to him. Even better.

Thankfully the damage really wasn't that bad. I managed to write down his USDOT # his Trailer # and his trailer license #. His company was N&W Transportation out of Grand Rapids, MI. And here I thought people from the midwest were nice. I pulled over to a closed weigh station to inspect my truck. My mirror is mounted on a swing arm so I was able to move the mirror back to it's correct position. Unfortunately the flat pane mirror was damaged and permanently tilted upward so I had a nice look at the sky and the motor inside the mirror housing that allows me to move the mirror around wasn't working. It could have been a lot worse. We were in construction and a concrete was directly to my right. I'm rather proud of myself that I didn't swerve into it. I spent over an hour inspecting the truck, filing a police report, and calling my company's accident reporting line.

After that I needed a drink. I made it down to my customer in San Antonio and had two beers at a local bar and some delicious enchiladas that gave me the shits the next morning. Made my delivery, drove to the KW dealer in San Antonio to get my mirror fixed, and drove up to Dallas to get my next load.

I am now in Amarillo, TX and about to hop on US-287 towards Denver and eventually Seattle area. I've never taken this stretch of road before. Should be a nice lonley drive, my favorite kind...

No comments:

Post a Comment