Sunday, March 7, 2010

Where am I?

So yeah, last detailed update had me making two pickups in the Bay Area then heading to Dallas and New Orleans. Not so much now. 

I did make the pickups in the Bay Area and made a mess of the situation. When you make a pickup for a show you need a light weight ticket and after the pickup you need a heavy weight ticket. The folks that unload trailers at conventions are called drayage companies and they charge their customers based on how much the freight weighs. 

Well I was an idiot and forgot my light tick, so I had to go running around up to Oakland to find a truckstop with a scale fighting heavy traffic the whole time. It was almost 4pm by the time I got loaded so I had to fight rush hour traffic to get back to the scale. By the time I got to my last pickup it was too late for them to load me immediately. I had to wait until after 8pm. 

I also discovered during the day that I needed to head down to LA for more freight before I could head for Dallas. Goody. Saying I'm not fond of LA is like saying Hitler wasn't fond of Jews.

It was after 9pm when I finally got loaded so I went to bed outside the warehouse in San Jose. I left for LA the next morn and got down to the city just in time to catch their afternoon rush hour. Got loaded and made it about 100 miles outside the city on my way to Dallas when...the air ride on my truck went out. Shit. Called my boss and he told me to sit tight until the next morning.

I ended up sitting most of Friday waiting for road service to come fix my truck. Dispatch pulled my load and had someone come get my trailer. No New Orleans fun for me. Dispatch then sent me BACK into LA for a load headed to MI. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Bleh. I'm tired of typing. I am now sitting in NM about 20 miles east of Gallup about to start driving for the day. Hopefully I lift weights in about an hour. We'll see.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre

No comments:

Post a Comment