Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I ate a guinea pig...




It wasn´t too bad either. I wouldn´t order another one only because there isn´t a lot of meat on the little buggers. It tasted like a lean game meat. It was a little creepy pulling the thing apart on my plate but whatever. When in Rome...

I had my first spanish lesson today as well. I´ve pretty much decided to make that a regular thing while I´m here and I´ll probably be in class 3 hours tomorrow. I really do need it. My teacher´s name is Miguel and he is probably several years younger than me. We´ve started pretty simple but I keep pushing him to move faster with different verb tenses. Really the best part is just for me to be speaking spanish with someone who will put up with my poor pronunciation and will repeat things over and over for me. Locals are nice and generally helpful, but I don´t expect them to have the patience of monks or anything.

After class I had a delicious bowl of ceviche at a local restaurant. I´m not gonna get tired of that part of Peru. Miguel used to work in a fish market when he was younger and he made sure to tell me that the fish in Arequipa is still amazing even though we are 5 hours inland.

My touristy activity for the day was to visit the Monasterio de Santa Catalina. A 400 year old HUGE convent. It is so big it has streets. I had an english speaking guide named Susie. She was a local girl who used to work on a cruise ship. I ended up coming back at night after a short break at my hostel to do spanish homework. Many of the convent rooms were lit up with candles and I ran into an Indian man (dot not feather) named Amit who was taking awesome pics with a sophisticated camera and a tri-pod. He offered to take a few pics with me in them and email them to me. I feel like I lead a charmed life.
Tomorrow is frozen mummy day. Hopefully I can set something up to climb a mountain over the weekend too.

No comments:

Post a Comment