Thursday, August 12, 2010

Lima rocks! And stinks unfortunately...

So yah, the pic is from Museo Larco. Gold is pretty. I took a ton of pictures. Museums aren't really the reason I came to Peru but pottery, textiles, sculpture and jewelry are pretty damn awesome. It also didn't hurt that I was hanging the whole day with a professor of anthropology from Chicago. Thanks Curtis. You are the man!

Got some necessities purchased this morning. I didn't bring a towel cause I'm an idiot, also picked up a sleeping bag. 

I took care of my next destination as well. I leave on a bus for Nasca tomorrow at 4:30pm. The company is Cruz del Sur and they are supposed to be one of the best bus companies in Peru. I even got to choose pollo for dinner during the ride. So dune surfing is next.

The day really was awesome. My legs hurt like hell from all the damn walking but it was worth it. The Museo Larco really was the highlight. Even Curtis was highly impressed with quality of the pieces and he's been to hundreds of museums. We were also both amused by a separate display they had of a bunch of pottery that depicted sex acts. Yes, they had butt sex pots. Classy...

Plaza de Armes and Plaza de San Martin were beautiful, especially at night. We just don't have places quite like this in the US. We have beautiful cities but they just have a different feel. Lima feels, and is, much older.

Curtis and I had dinner at a local restaurant that has been there since 1905 and has served every Peruvian President since then. It was called El Cordano and I see why the Presidents like it; it's right across the street from the presidential palace. Food was good but my ceviche was better yesterday. Curt made a better choice than me. I had picante mariscos con arroz whereas he had filet mignon.

We made one more stop that night at Parque de Reserva where they have a light and fountain show that was quite lovely. I especially enjoyed it because it was very much a local scene. Very few gringos and mostly locals with their families.

We walked from downtown Lima all the way back to our lodging in Miraflores which wasn't a great idea in retrospect. Peru doesn't have the emission standards of the states and the streets reek of exhaust. I'm so ready to get out of the city.

Tomorrow's agenda? Possible para-sailing sprinkled with a few more museums.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre

1 comment:

  1. How do you not bring a towel Joe? The one thing an intergalactic hitchhiker needs is a TOWEL!

    Keep em' coming.

    Carl

    ReplyDelete