Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My first room in peru

Well, I'm here. I arrived last night after an enjoyable flight. I helped a middle aged woman and her mother find the flight out of Houston. The mother spoke almost no english at all but the daughter's english was ok. By the end of the flight we exchanged emails so she could practise her english and I could practise my spanish. 

Also met a hair dresser named Omar from Scottsdale, AZ. He was going on a 10 day guided tour of Cusco at the exorbitant price of $4k. I'm glad I'm not spending that much. 

The fellow next to me on the flight was Luis and he spoke very little english. It ended up being a perfect oppurtunity to work on some spanish. We played a game on the video screen set in the seatback in front of us. Luis wasn't very quick on the uptake so I was able to relearn my colors in spanish as well as some simple instructions.

I was surprised how smoothly everything went at the airport upon arrival. The check in line for passports and such was long but not a problem. I had to wait a long and agonizing 15 min or so for my checked bag to come down the baggage ramp, but it did, and I had a fellow waiting for me at ground transport. His name was Antonio and we made small talk in a combination of broken spanish/english.

Ok, so my Spanish is bad, but so far it seems like I know enough right now to make it all the way through this trip. One would hope I would get better.

I'm starving and a breakfast of some sort is supposed to be waiting for me downstairs. I met a traveling college prof named Curtis who mentioned he was planning on doing some museum and market hoping today. He seemed ok with the idea of me joining him.

Hasta luego!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypC9zyyk8As - My first room in Peru

-- Sent from my Palm Pre

1 comment:

  1. Hi Iam the middle age woman! My name is Luzmila thank you for your help Joe! Iam back in Missoury after 15 days in Peru> i Went to my grandfather funeral and after that. I visited Ayacucho the place where terrorism were born in Peru, but now is a nice place to visit. Mi mom finally know where she was born.

    ReplyDelete